The main concern of Tobacco Control is always to give a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which can be prone to further the objectives of the tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. In papers submitted for review the introduction should suggest why the study reported or problems discussed are very important with regards to managing tobacco use, while the discussion section ought to include an analysis of the way the research reported plays a role in tobacco control goals.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Given that log seeks to attain a readership that is international writers must look into whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, that are probably be of great interest to scientists employed in other nations. Extremely parochial dilemmas, that have few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to get high concern. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking maybe perhaps not offer high priority to:
- Studies of cigarette smoking prevalence as well as its correlates. They are most suitable to journals that are national. Few people residing outside a national nation have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of cigarette cigarette cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or health care professionals. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness expert speciality journals. Few individuals in other nations will tend to be thinking about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional thinking about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and people using such studies into initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no importance that is obvious changing policy or training in tobacco control. They often times show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere crucial or interesting.
- Opinion pieces where in actuality the viewpoints are unoriginal, poorly argued, naive or neglect for essential ethical problems in favor of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers have not opened Tobacco Control plus don’t comprehend its main give attention to tobacco control in place of on tobacco and its particular use and wellness effects. we have been enthusiastic about such documents, but as long as their writers address the implications of the findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological essay for you issues.
- Documents on topics that want very technical or language that is discipline-specific to be recognized by the greater part of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little information that is new.
- Neighborhood studies where in actuality the implications for the journal’s audience that is international uncertain.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood health authorities that some body thought could be provided an instant make-over and submitted as a journal paper.
Tobacco Control adheres towards the greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, systematic misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To see all BMJ Journal policies please make reference to the BMJ Author Hub policies web web page.
Articles are published under a licence that is exclusive non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. The terms are as stated in accordance with our licence terms for US Federal Government officers or employees acting as part of their official duties. Authors or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles may be reused underneath the terms of the appropriate imaginative Commons licence to facilitate reuse regarding the content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence when it comes to applicable Creative Commons licences”.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will maybe not start thinking about for book documents reporting work funded, in entire or in part, with a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by writers whom accept tobacco industry capital, including money for research expenses, for several or element of any author’s income, or other types of individual remuneration. For more info, please check this out editorial providing the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare contending passions at distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection of this paper. In case a interest that is competing to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction of this entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to think about documents based wholly or perhaps in component on product previously posted on line. Nevertheless writers must look into an editorial about this topic: Prior book on line: brand brand brand new journal policy. The editor retains the customary directly to make modifications however you like and in case essential to reduce, utilizing the approval for the author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or material that is illustrative happens to be posted somewhere else should be duly recognized and combined with the penned consent of this copyright owner (this can be the publisher as opposed to the author).
Under unique circumstances where a paper’s findings have actually instantly appropriate policy implications warranting urgent publication, manuscripts could be fast tracked in front of the normal queue of documents. In the event that you feel you feel it is of sufficient importance to be handled urgently that you have good reasons why this is true for your paper, please detail these in a cover letter, explaining the importance of your work for the field and the reason. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a few documents per year will likely to be expedited with this basis, however it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value in the context that is current.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on e cigarettes should make use of the term ‘electronic cigarettes’ on very very first usage, after which it the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be applied. Documents on other delivery that is nicotine may continue using the definition of ‘electronic nicotine delivery systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very very very first usage.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers must also add a different manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the distinction through the version that is previous. The monitored modifications document must be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Research gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for conformity towards the following reporting directions. Please upload the appropriate completed list for the submission to your study type, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – Required for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for several financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for several research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for several quality enhancement studies
Guidance and kinds can be found from EQUATOR.
We video that is welcome to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to physically talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note that individuals will maybe not request you to start thinking about submitting a video clip abstract until your paper happens to be accepted. Please usually do not try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of one’s manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online that could guide the manufacturing of a video clip abstract, using commonly and frequently easily available computer software. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie will be the many typical examples. Types of movie abstracts can be found from The BMJ. Here are a guidelines that are few making a video clip abstract. Writers might also desire to ask their institution’s press/media office for help.
- Movie abstracts must not keep going longer than 4 moments.
- This content while focusing regarding the movie must connect straight to the research which has been accepted for book, and really should maybe maybe maybe not stray beyond the information. We advice itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content associated with the movie ought to be in a method plus in terms which is understandable and available to a basic medical audience. The language that is main be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to a broad audience that is medical and never make use of abbreviations.
- Writers often talk straight into the digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we encourage the utilization of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for example animations, videos, still photographs, figures, infographics). If you want to utilize product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the appropriate publisher or copyright owner.